You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1.Who do I talk to if I am concerned about a child’s welfare?

If you have a concern about a young person it is very important that you take one of the following actions:

Report your concern to your designated liaison person within your organisation

If you do not have a designated liaison person, report directly to your local duty social worker in Tusla,The Child and Family Agency.

In an emergency or if a social worker is not available, contact your local An Garda Siochana.


Q2. What are the organisational requirements in relation to safeguarding and child protection?

All youth organisations have a responsibility and a duty of care for the protection and well being of the young people with whom they work. There are a number of measures that youth organisations must put in place to safeguard children from harm. These include the following:

A child protection policy and code of behaviour, a named designated liaison person, a safe recruitment and selection process for employees and volunteer which includes Garda vetting, procedures for dealing with allegations, supervision, support and training in child protection and safeguarding for all staff, volunteers and management.

Q3. What training programmes are available in child protection?

For the youth work sector please see the training section of this website

However, if you are outside of the youth work sector please contact your national governing body or Tusla for information on accessing appropriate child protection training.


Q. 4  Where do I get information on Garda Vetting?

For information on Garda vetting please see the National Vetting Bureau of  An Garda Siochana

Alternatively you can contact the

National Vetting Bureau of An Garda Siochana, 

Tel:+353 (0)504 27300Fax:+353 (0)504 27373